Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Digging for Truth

Have you noticed that once you focus your attention on something, you start to see it everywhere? Before starting this green project, I didn't notice all of the products, services, publications, web sites and companies devoted to sustainable living. A shift of my consciousness is all it took to find a wealth of information.

I am seeing magazines on going green in the local coffee shop, finding more small businesses focusing on green products at the Farmer's Market and in town, my online home management system, Cozi, has posted a list of tips for going green, and even Alice.com, an online store for bulk non-perishables, allows you to search for green and organic items.

The green trend has also made it to the mainstream media. During one primetime show, I saw advertising for new lines of skin care, hair care and household cleaners, all being promoted as all-natural. Getting my hands on green products seems to be getting easier, but are all of these products really all the advertising claims they are?

Armed with resources like the Environmental Working Group's (EWG) Skin Deep database, my next green project will be to compare labels to find some new products that are truly green to help me in my quest to detoxify our personal care and household products. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment